We develop and research structured fibers, applying a combination of polymers and additives. We handle fundamental questions regarding fiber molecular structure and morphology, from the nanoscale to the microscale. And we develop and modify extrusion processes to enhance fiber properties and achieve new functional cores and surfaces.
In applied projects we develop, in collaboration with industry partners, fibers that enhance the quality of life. Our specialties lie in fibers for lightweight structures, liquid-filled fibers, flame retardant fibers, and fibers from renewable sources.
- Applying supercritical fluids to enhance polymer processing and to effect microstructural modifications.
- Developing integral adaptive damping of fiber reinforced composites e.g. by liquid-filled fibers.
- Enabling lightweight composites by developments on the fiber level.
- Application of non-toxic additives to achieve required fiber properties like safety or long-term stability.
- Designing fibers from renewable resources to substitute petroleum-based fibers in defined applications like medical and technical textiles.
- Improve performance, comfort and safety of fiber-based products used for personal well-being.