Annapaola Parrilli is scientist and research project leader at Empa's Center for X-ray Analytics (CXA). She is habilitated as associate Professor in the Italian higher education system for the disciplinary field of Materials science and technology. Her background is in industrial chemistry/material science and she obtain her PhD from the University of Pisa in Italy in biological and molecular science about "Advanced microtomographic techniques for in vitro and in vivo evaluation of biomaterials in orthopedic research". Before joining Empa, she has been working for ten years at the IRCCS Rizzoli Orthopaedic Institute, one of the main orthopedic hospital in Italy. Her scientific interests range from 3D and 4D imaging of organs and tissues, imaging and biomechanics combination, biomaterials, tissue engineering and regenerative medicine and contrast agents for preclinical and translational research.
Currently she is PI of of SNF Project - Title: 3D imaging of the microvascular anatomy of the meniscus" years 2020-2024
- Lecturer of the course "Introduction to Material Science" of the Master in Biomedical Engineering of the University of Bern (autumn semester).
- Lecturer of the course "(Bio)Materials" of the Master in Biomedical Engineering of the University of Bern (spring semester).
- Lecturer one day course "Introduction to Non-Destructive Analysis and X-ray Imaging", Empa
Memberships in national and international organizations
- Scientific chair of the interdisciplinary panel for PhD and postdoc fellowships at FWO (Fonds Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek - Fund Scientific Research) in Belgium
- Member of the Tissue Engineering and Regenerative Medicine International Society (TERMIS)
- Reviewer of scientific journals such as Acta Biomateralia, Biofabrication, Journal of Microscopy, eCells and Materials Journal, Surface Topography: Metrology and Properties, Biomed Research International, etc.