Printed electronics is an emerging technology to create electrical devices on various substrates using printing methods. High-throughput printing methods such as screen printing, flexography, gravure, inkjet and aerosol-jet methods can be used to deposit functional inks of conductors, insulators, semiconductors creating active or passive devices, such as thin film transistors (TFTs); capacitors; coils; resistors, memory elements. Printed electronics is expected to facilitate widespread of low-cost electronics for applications such as the Internet-of-Things (IoT), smart labels and cards, tracking tags, high-level security elements, decorative and animated posters and toys, etc.
Our Laboratory is developing materials, processes and devices including:
- oxide-based conductors (e.g. printed ITO), insulators (e.g. Al2O3-, SiO2-based) and semiconductors (e.g. In-Ga-Zn-O) for demonstrating printed TFTs, Schottky diodes and sensors;
- new interconnection concepts for photovoltaic modules;
- high-resolution drop-on-demand printing methods including ink-jet and aerosol-jet printing;
- photonic sintering of various printed structures and layers (semiconductors, conductors, dielectrics, ceramics) using flash-lamp annealing (photonic curing), deep-UV annealing (DUV), rapid-thermal processing (RTP).
- Sami Bolat, Peter Fuchs, Stefan Knobelspies, Ozgur Temel, Galo Torres Sevilla, Evgeniia Gilshtein, Christian Andres, Ivan Shorubalko, Yujing Liu, Gerhard Tröster, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Inkjet‐Printed and Deep‐UV‐Annealed YAlOx Dielectrics for High‐Performance IGZO Thin‐Film Transistors on Flexible Substrates, Adv. Electron. Mater. 2019, 5, 1800843.
- Yujing Liu, Thierry Moser, Christian Andres, Lovro Gorjan, Arndt Remhof, Frank Clemens, Thomas Graule, Ayodhya N. Tiwaria and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Ethanolamine-assisted low-temperature crystallization of hydroxide nanoparticle ink into transparent and conductive ITO layers, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2019,7, 3083-3089.
- Harald Hagendorfer, Karla Lienau, Shiro Nishiwaki, Carolin M. Fella, Lukas Kranz, Alexander R. Uhl, Dominik Jaeger, Li Luo, Christina Gretener, Stephan Buecheler, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Highly Transparent and Conductive ZnO: Al Thin Films from a Low Temperature Aqueous Solution Approach, Adv. Mat., 2014, 26, 632-636.