Printed electronics is an emerging technology to create electrical devices on various substrates using printing methods. High-throughput printing methods such as screen printing, flexography, gravure, inkjet, and aerosol-jet methods can be used to deposit functional inks of conductors, insulators, and semiconductors creating active (thin film transistors (TFTs); memory elements; sensors), or passive devices (resistors; coils; protective coatings).
Our Laboratory contributes to the Coating Competence Center with a specific research focus on:
- high-resolution digital printing methods including ink-jet, dispensing, and aerosol-jet printing;
- photonic sintering of various printed structures and layers (semiconductors, conductors, dielectrics, ceramics) using flash-lamp annealing (photonic curing), deep-UV annealing (DUV), rapid-thermal processing (RTP).
- oxide-based conductors (e.g. printed ITO), insulators (e.g. Al2O3-, SiO2-based), and semiconductors (e.g. IGZO) for demonstrating printed TFTs, Schottky diodes, security tags, and sensors;
- printable protective coatings, e.g. for watch manufacturing;
- new interconnection concepts for photovoltaic modules.
- Vitor Vlnieska, Evgeniia Gilshtein, Danays Kunka, Jakob Heier and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk. Aerosol Jet Printing of 3D Pillar Arrays from Photopolymer Ink, Polymers 2022, 14(16), 3411.
- Evgeniia Gilshtein, Stefan Pfeiffer, Severin Siegrist, Vitor Vlnieska, Thomas Graule and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Photonic Sintering of Oxide Ceramic Films: Effect of Colored FexOy Nanoparticle Pigments, Ceramics 2022, 5(3), 351-361.
- Evgeniia Gilshtein, Jasmine Tacneng, Sami Bolat, Galo Torres Sevilla and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Invisible and Flexible Printed Sensors Based on ITO Nanoparticle Ink for Security Applications, Front. Nanotechnol. 2021, 3, 700539.
- Evgeniia Gilshtein, Stefan Pfeiffer, Marta D. Rossell, Jordi Sastre, Lovro Gorjan, Rolf Erni, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Thomas Graule & Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Millisecond photonic sintering of iron oxide doped alumina ceramic coatings, Sci. Rep., 2021, 3536.
- Sami Bolat, Galo Torres Sevilla, Alessio Mancinelli, Evgeniia Gilshtein, Jordi Sastre, Antonio Cabas Vidani, Dominik Bachmann, Ivan Shorubalko, Danick Briand, Ayodhya N. Tiwari & Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Synaptic transistors with aluminum oxide dielectrics enabling full audio frequency range signal processing, Sci. Rep., 2020, 16664.
- Evgeniia Gilshtein, Sami Bolat, Galo Torres Sevilla, Antonio Cabas-Vidani, Frank Clemens, Thomas Graule, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Inkjet‐Printed Conductive ITO Patterns for Transparent Security Systems, Adv. Mater. Technol. 2020, 2000369.
- Sami Bolat, Peter Fuchs, Stefan Knobelspies, Ozgur Temel, Galo Torres Sevilla, Evgeniia Gilshtein, Christian Andres, Ivan Shorubalko, Yujing Liu, Gerhard Tröster, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Inkjet‐Printed and Deep‐UV‐Annealed YAlOx Dielectrics for High‐Performance IGZO Thin‐Film Transistors on Flexible Substrates, Adv. Electron. Mater. 2019, 5, 1800843.
- Yujing Liu, Thierry Moser, Christian Andres, Lovro Gorjan, Arndt Remhof, Frank Clemens, Thomas Graule, Ayodhya N. Tiwari and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Ethanolamine-assisted low-temperature crystallization of hydroxide nanoparticle ink into transparent and conductive ITO layers, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2019,7, 3083-3089.
Dr. Yaroslav Romanyuk
Phone +41 58 765 4169
- Swiss ePrint 2022 in Buchs, SG – highlights of Printed Electronics at Empa booth.
- PhD student Sami Bolat recieved Best poster prize at Swiss NanoConvention 2021, June 2021.
- Dr. Evgeniia Gilshtein received Best image award at Swiss NanoConvention 2021, June 2021.
- Transparent printed keyhole is a new security level, March 2021.
- DiPrintProtect - Digitally Printed Temporary Protective Films for Application in the Watch Industry
- Microfluidics - Functional Integration for Rapid Realization of Microreactors and Bio-assays
- FOXIP - Functional OXIdes Printed on Polymers and Paper