Thin-film lithium-ion battery is a form of solid-state battery, which combines the advantages of solid-state batteries with the advantages of thin-film manufacturing processes. Thin-film batteries (sometimes called microbatteries) are intended for powering wireless sensors, smart cards, active RFID tags, consumer electronics.
As compared to the conventional Li-ion batteries, thin-film batteries offer:
- low self discharge & long lifetime
- high energy density
- high discharge current (C-rate)
- high safety (no liquid or polymer electrolyte)
Our Laboratory is developing thin-film batteries, with a special research focus on:
- solid-state electrolytes, like doped Li7La3Zr2O12 (LLZO) electrolyte with Li-ion conductivity > 10-4 S cm-1;
- high-voltage thin-film cathodes such as LiCoO2, NMC811, etc;
- lithium metal anodes;
- interfacial layers enabling efficient Li-ion transport and preventing undesirable interdiffusion: Al2O3, ZnO, Nb2O5 and others;
- corrosion-resistant current collectors:
- novel device designs such as multilayer (multijunction) cells for increased power.
- Jordi Sastre, Agnieszka Priebe, Max Döbeli, Johann Michler, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Lithium Garnet Li7La3Zr2O12 Electrolyte for All‐Solid‐State Batteries: Closing the Gap between Bulk and Thin Film Li‐Ion Conductivities, Adv. Mater. Interfaces, 2020, 2000425.
- Jordi Sastre, Xubin Chen, Abdessalem Aribia, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Fast Charge Transfer across the Li7La3Zr2O12 Solid Electrolyte/LiCoO2 Cathode Interface Enabled by an Interphase-Engineered All-Thin-Film Architecture, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2020, 12, 32, 36196–36207.
- Jordi Sastre, Tzu-Ying Lin, Alejandro N. Filippin, Agnieszka Priebe, Enrico Avancini, Johann Michler, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Stephan Buecheler, Aluminum-Assisted Densification of Cosputtered Lithium Garnet Electrolyte Films for Solid-State Batteries, ACS Appl. Energy Mater. 2019, 2, 12, 8511-8524.
- Alejandro N. Filippin, Tzu-Ying Lin, Michael Rawlence, Tanja Zünd, Kostiantyn Kravchyk, Jordi Sastre-Pellicer, Stefan G. Haass, Aneliia Wäckerlin, Maksym V. Kovalenko and Stephan Buecheler, Ni–Al–Cr superalloy as high temperature cathode current collector for advanced thin film Li batteries, RSC Adv., 2018,8, 20304-20313.