Thin-film lithium-ion battery is a form of solid-state battery, which combines the advantages of solid-state batteries with the advantages of thin-film manufacturing processes. Thin-film batteries (sometimes called microbatteries) are intended for powering wireless sensors, smart cards, active RFID tags, consumer electronics.
As compared to the conventional Li-ion batteries, thin-film batteries offer:
- low self discharge & long lifetime
- high energy density
- high discharge current (C-rate)
- high safety (no liquid or polymer electrolyte)
Our Laboratory is developing thin-film batteries, with a special research focus on:
- solid-state electrolytes, like doped Li7La3Zr2O12 (LLZO) electrolyte with Li-ion conductivity > 10-4 S cm-1;
- high-voltage thin-film cathodes such as LiCoO2, NMC811, etc;
- lithium metal anodes;
- interfacial layers enabling efficient Li-ion transport and preventing undesirable interdiffusion: Al2O3, ZnO, Nb2O5 and others;
- corrosion-resistant current collectors:
- novel device designs such as multilayer (multijunction) cells for increased power.
- Abdessalem Aribia, Jordi Sastre, Xubin Chen, Evgeniia Gilshtein, Moritz H. Futscher, Ayodhya N. Tiwari and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, In Situ Lithiated ALD Niobium Oxide for Improved Long Term Cycling of Layered Oxide Cathodes: A Thin-Film Model Study, J. Electrochem. Soc. 2021, 168 (4), 040513.
- Xubin Chen, Jordi Sastre, Matthias Rumpel, Andreas Flegler, Anurag Singhania, Javier Balta Bonner, Patrik Hoffmann, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Photonic methods for rapid crystallization of LiMn2O4 cathodes for solid-state thin-film batteries, J. Power Sources, 2021, 495, 229424.
- Jordi Sastre, Moritz H. Futscher, Lea Pompizi, Abdessalem Aribia, Agnieszka Priebe, Jan Overbeck, Michael Stiefel, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Blocking Lithium Dendrite Growth in Solid-State Batteries with an Ultrathin Amorphous Li-La-Zr-O Solid Electrolyte, ChemRxiv., 2020, Preprint.
- Jordi Sastre, Agnieszka Priebe, Max Döbeli, Johann Michler, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Lithium Garnet Li7La3Zr2O12 Electrolyte for All‐Solid‐State Batteries: Closing the Gap between Bulk and Thin Film Li‐Ion Conductivities, Adv. Mater. Interfaces, 2020, 2000425.
- Jordi Sastre, Xubin Chen, Abdessalem Aribia, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, and Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Fast Charge Transfer across the Li7La3Zr2O12 Solid Electrolyte/LiCoO2 Cathode Interface Enabled by an Interphase-Engineered All-Thin-Film Architecture, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2020, 12, 32, 36196–36207.
- Jordi Sastre, Tzu-Ying Lin, Alejandro N. Filippin, Agnieszka Priebe, Enrico Avancini, Johann Michler, Ayodhya N. Tiwari, Yaroslav E. Romanyuk, Stephan Buecheler, Aluminum-Assisted Densification of Cosputtered Lithium Garnet Electrolyte Films for Solid-State Batteries, ACS Appl. Energy Mater. 2019, 2, 12, 8511-8524.
- Alejandro N. Filippin, Tzu-Ying Lin, Michael Rawlence, Tanja Zünd, Kostiantyn Kravchyk, Jordi Sastre-Pellicer, Stefan G. Haass, Aneliia Wäckerlin, Maksym V. Kovalenko and Stephan Buecheler, Ni–Al–Cr superalloy as high temperature cathode current collector for advanced thin film Li batteries, RSC Adv., 2018,8, 20304-20313.