- Congratulations to Dr. Marta Bon for the poster prize at "Challenges in modeling and simulations of nanoparticles in complex environments", Genova (IT), May 2019
- Congratulations to Dr. Nicolas Bologna for his successful PhD defense: Template-assisted grown III-V semiconductor nanowires: a transmission electron microscopy study. May 2019. PhD thesis Nr. 5 of Empa's Electron Microscopy Group.
- Our latest article: highlighted as Editors' Suggestion in Physical Review Materials: Structure and properties of edge dislocations in BiFeO3 (March 2019).
Congratulations to Trond Henninen! Poster award for "Temperature dependent quasimolten crystallinity of sub-nm Pt and Au clusters observed in 3D by fast dynamic STEM" at ELMINA 2018 in Belgrade, August 2018.
- Roksolana Kozak successfully defended her PhD thesis at ETH Zurich on 12 July 2018: Integration of GaAs on Si Nanostructures. Congratulations, Dr. Roksolana Kozak! PhD thesis Nr. 4 of Empa's Electron Microscopy Group.
Congratulations! Poster prize for Debora Keller: "Gold Nanoparticle Growth in Liquid Cell Transmission Electron Microscopy" at the conference: Microscopy Characterization of Organic-Inorganic Interfaces (London, Feb. 2018)
- First liquid-cell S/TEM study published in Chemistry of Materials: Formation of Au Nanoparticles in Liquid Cell Transmission Electron Microscopy: from a Systematic Study to Engineered Nanostructures, by Yucheng Zhang, Debora Keller, Marta D. Rossell and Rolf Erni.
- Dr. Piyush Agrawal successfully defended his PhD thesis at EPFL on 20 December 2017: Characterization at the Atomistic Level of Defective Structures in Complex Materials: A Theoretical Study. Congratulations! PhD thesis Nr. 3 of Empa's Electron Microscopy Group.
New environmental SEM: Quanta 650 FEG from Thermo Fisher Scientific
User trainings start beginning 2018.
Here: new website for the ERC CLUSTER project with more information about our in-situ activities.
FEI Titan Themis: Empa's Electron Microscopy Center goes sub-Ångström. The new FEI Titan Themis has been put into operation end of 2016. The new microscope will be used for high-resolution imaging, analytics and in-situ measurements. First liquid cell measurements of nucleation reactions have been carried out successfully.
- Dr. Rolf Erni: ERC consolidator grant to explore the early stages of cluster formation and crystal nucleation by in-situ transmission electron microscopy. Feb 2016
- Dr. Debora Keller: successful defence of her PhD thesis at ETH Zurich: Role of nanoscale inhomogeneities in Cu(In,Ga)Se2 thin film solar cells. Jan 26, 2016
- Dr. Gabriele Ilari: successful defence of his PhD thesis at ETH Zurich: Electron Microscopy on Tailored CNT / 3d Transition Metal Interfaces. Sept 11, 2015