Dr. Barbara Lothenbach
Group leader thermodynamic modelling
Area of interest
- Hydration mechanisms of cementitious materials
- Thermodynamic modeling
- Pore solutions
- Supplementary cementitious materials and non-Portland cement binders
Member of national and international Committees
- Editorial board of Cement & Concrete Research since 2009
- Editorial Board: Advances in Cement Research
- Editorial Board: Materiales de Construccion
- RILEM TC 238-SCM Hydration and microstructure of concrete with supplementary cementitious materials
- RILEM TC CCC - Carbonation of concrete with supplementary cementitious materials
- RILEM Technical Committee Multi-component transport and chemical equilibrium in cement based materials
- RILEM Technical Committee 211: Concrete in aggressive aqueous environments
- Member/coordinator of “CEMNET” since 2002: CEMNET is a joining of Swiss researchers in the field of cement and concrete
- Scientific Committee of the 15th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement, Prague 2019
- Adjunct professorship at NTNU - Department of Structural Engineering Faculty of Engineering
Various research projects in the field of cement hydration, alternative cementitious materials, and thermodynamic data.
2002 to date: at Empa, Concrete and Construction Chemistry Lab
1996-2002: Project leader and consultant scientist for nuclear wastes at BMG Engineering Ltd, Schlieren, Switzerland: transport and retention of heavy metals and radionuclides in bentonite and cementitious liners, database development, waste management, representation of Switzerland 2000-2002 in the PRTR working group (Kiev protocol).
1993-1996: PhD. at the Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Soil Protection, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland on the remediation of heavy metal contaminated soils.
1990-1991: Research assistant for conservation and environmental management projects at the University of Tasmania, Australia and at the Department of Parks, Wildlife and Heritage, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia: Protection of endemic plants and environmental management systems.
1987-1988: Consultant for noise prevention at BMP Dr. Pelli + Co., Zürich, Switzerland
1986-1992: Diploma in Environmental Science, 1992 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland
German, English, French