Dr. Barbara Lothenbach
Group leader thermodynamic modelling
Area of interest
- Hydration mechanisms of cementitious materials
- Thermodynamic modeling
- Pore solutions
- Supplementary cementitious materials and non-Portland cement binders
Member of national and international Committees
- Editorial board of Cement & Concrete Research
- Editorial Board: Advances in Cement Research
- Editorial Board: Materiales de Construccion
- RILEM TC CCC - Carbonation of concrete with supplementary cementitious materials
- Member/coordinator of “CEMNET” since 2002: CEMNET is a joining of Swiss researchers in the field of cement and concrete
- Adjunct professorship at NTNU - Department of Structural Engineering Faculty of Engineering
Various research projects in the field of cement hydration, alternative cementitious materials, and thermodynamic data.
2002 to date: at Empa, Concrete and Construction Chemistry Lab
1996-2002: Project leader and consultant scientist for nuclear wastes at BMG Engineering Ltd, Schlieren, Switzerland: transport and retention of heavy metals and radionuclides in bentonite and cementitious liners, database development, waste management, representation of Switzerland 2000-2002 in the PRTR working group (Kiev protocol).
1993-1996: PhD. at the Institute of Terrestrial Ecology, Soil Protection, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland on the remediation of heavy metal contaminated soils.
1990-1991: Research assistant for conservation and environmental management projects at the University of Tasmania, Australia and at the Department of Parks, Wildlife and Heritage, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia: Protection of endemic plants and environmental management systems.
1987-1988: Consultant for noise prevention at BMP Dr. Pelli + Co., Zürich, Switzerland
1986-1992: Diploma in Environmental Science, 1992 Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zürich, Switzerland
German, English, French
Accepted versions of recently published papers:
Geng, G., Shi, Z., Leemann, A., Borca, C., Huthwelker, T., Glazyrin, K., Pekov, I.V., Churakov, S., Lothenbach, B., Dähn, R. and Wieland, E., 2020. Atomistic structure of alkali-silica reaction products refined from X-ray diffraction and micro X-ray absorption data. Cement and Concrete Research, 129, p.105958.
Shi, Z., & Lothenbach, B. (2020). The combined effect of potassium, sodium and calcium on the formation of alkali-silica reaction products. Cement and Concrete Research, 127, 105914.
Zajac, M., Skocek, J., Bullerjahn, F., Lothenbach, B., Scrivener, K., & Ben Haha, M. (2019). Early hydration of ye'elimite: Insights from thermodynamic modelling. Cement and Concrete Research, 120, 152-163.
Shi, Z., & Lothenbach, B. (2019). The role of calcium on the formation of alkali-silica reaction products. Cement and Concrete Research, 126, 105898.
Nedyalkova, L., Lothenbach, B., Renaudin, G., Mäder, U., Tits, J. (2019) Effect of redox conditions on the structure and solubility of sulfur- and selenium-AFm phases, Cement and Concrete Research, 123, 105803
- Shi, Z., Geng, G., Leemann, A., Lothenbach, B. (2019) Synthesis, characterization and water uptake property of alkali-silica reaction products, Cement and Concrete Research, 121, 58-71.