Thin Film Deposition
Atomic Layer Deposition
- Novel concepts for conformal coatings of high-surface and heat sensitive materials.
- Nanolaminates for tuning materials properties.
- Fundamental aspects of ALD precursor chemisorption and bonding on surface sites which will determine interfacial electrical and mechanical properties.
ALD on nanostructured supports
We are developing ALD techniques to tailor the surfaces and interfaces with metal oxides on different nanostructured supports for their application in nanostructured photovoltaic devices. The nanomaterials used in these supports include carbon nanotubes, graphene, nanowires and quantum dots.
Home-built ALD reactorsWe have four state of the art home-made ALD reactors, with the possibility to be modified further for any application:
- A stationary ALD reactor with 3 inlets for the deposition of metal oxides. This ALD can be modified to use plasma and/or ozone.
- A mobile-ALD reactor to connect to any characterization equipment for in-situ studies.
- A dedicated ALD reactor to coat efficiently mesoporous materials with high specific surface area like aerogel or zeolite.
- An automated ALD-PVD system to deposit nanolaminates of metals and metal oxides without breaking vacuum.
Zhang, Y.; Guerra-Nuñez, C.; Utke, I.;Michler, J.; Rossell, M. D.; Erni, R., Understanding and Controlling Nucleation and Growth of TiO2Deposited on Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes by Atomic Layer Deposition. J. Phys. Chem. C 2015, 150203103227001.DOI:10.1021/jp511004h
Yazdani, N.; Bozyigit, D.; Utke, I.; Buchheim, J.; Youn, S. K.; Patscheider, J.; Wood, V.; Park, H. G., Enhanced charge transport kinetics in anisotropic, stratified photoanodes. ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2014, 6 (3), 1389-93. DOI:10.1021/am405987t
Yazdani, N.; Chawla, V.; Edwards, E.; Wood, V.; Park, H. G.; Utke, I., Modeling and optimization of atomic layer deposition processes on vertically aligned carbon nanotubes. Beilstein J. Nanotechnol. 2014, 5, 234-244. DOI:10.3762/bjnano.5.25
Zhang, Y.; Utke, I.; Michler, J.; Ilari, G.; Rossell, M. D.; Erni, R., Growth and characterization of CNT–TiO2heterostructures. Beilstein J. Nanotechnol. 2014, 5, 946-955. DOI:10.3762/bjnano.5.108
J.A. Whitby et al. High Spatial Resolution Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry for the Masses: A Novel Orthogonal ToF FIB-SIMS Instrument with In Situ AFM Adv. Mat. Sci. Engin. 2012 (1012) 180437, DOI: 10.1155/2012/180437.
J. Elias et al. Urchin-inspired zinc oxide as building blocks for nanostructured solar cells, Nano Energy 1(5) (2012) 696-705, DOI:10.1016/j.nanoen.2012.07.002.
R. Raghavan et al., Nanocrystalline-to-amorphous transition in nanolaminates grown by low temperature atomic layer deposition and related mechanical properties, Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 191912 (2012); DOI: 10.1063/1.4711767.
Physical Vapour Deposition
We develop physical vapour deposition for multilayer thin films with enhanced mechanical properties. Adapting the multilayer film thicknesses to characteristic dimensions as-sociated to dislocation generation and cracking the materi-als properties can be tuned beyond the constituent materi-als. We also use resist based e-beam and UV lithography together with the in-built mini electron beam evaporator for conventional lift-off processing to prepare electrical contact pads for electronic nanodevices and solar cells.