Joining Technologies & Corrosion
We drive innovations in joining technologies and corrosion management by bulk, surface and interface engineering of functional materials and their assemblies in close collaboration with academia and industry.
- Joining Technologies (e.g. soldering, brazing, reactive joining, nanojoining)
- Corrosion Management (e.g. corrosion mechanisms, failures and prevention strategies)
- Electrochemical Reactivity of Metallic Surfaces (e.g. Surface reactivity of metals and alloys, implants, sensors)
- Functional Oxides (e.g. structure, properties, defect engineering)
OUR PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- Innovative R&D and high-end services to your industrial needs in the fields of corrosion management, joining technologies, electrochemistry and surface engineering
- We are your national competence center for the assessment of corrosion failures and the development of corrosion prevention strategies.
- Technology transfer of innovative R&D into sustainable materials, processes and technologies
We aim at fundamental knowledge and engineering know-how of reactions and phase formations at solid-solid, solid-liquid and solid-gas interfaces during fabrication, processing and subsequent operation under harsh conditions. Cutting-edge experiments are guided by multi-scale modelling to reach fundamental understanding of:
Reactivity and phase stability of metals, alloys, metallic coatings and surficial oxides under harsh operating conditions
Diffusion, wetting, nucleation, pre-melting and competing phase formation at reacting surfaces and interfaces
Microstructure-property relationships of thin oxide films during growth, processing and subsequent operation in reactive environments