Laboratory for Joining Technologies & Corrosion
We drive innovations in joining technologies and corrosion management by bulk, interface and surface engineering of metals, alloys, oxides and their assemblies in close-collaboration with academia and industry.
- Advanced Joining Technologies (soldering, brazing, TLP, diffusion bonding, nano- & micro-joining)
- Corrosion Management (investigations of corrosion failures, mechanisms and prevention strategies)
- Functional oxide films (tailoring microstructure-property relationships)
- Local electrochemistry (surface reactivity and chemical durability down to the nm-range)
- Surface & interface engineering (of metals, alloys, oxide films and their coating systems)
OUR PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- Bulk, interface and surface engineering of metals, alloys, oxide films and their functional coating systems for joining & corrosion management
- We are your national competence center for the investigation of corrosion failures and the development of corrosion prevention strategies
- We offer high-end services to your industrial needs in the fields of corrosion management, joining technologies, electrochemistry, surface engineering and complex material failures
Our research aims at fundamental knowledge and engineering know-how for tailoring the thermodynamics and kinetics of reactions and phase formations at solid-solid, solid-liquid and solid-gas interfaces during processing and subsequent operation under harsh conditions.
Cutting-edge experiments are guided by multi-scale modelling to reach fundamental understanding of:
- Diffusion, wetting, pre-melting, nucleation and sequential phase formation and growth at surfaces and interfaces in multi-material assemblies and functional coatings systems
- The chemical reactivity and durability of metals, alloys, oxide films and their functional coating systems under harsh operating conditions
- The biocompatibility and degradability of medical implants in complex physiological media under dynamic loading conditions
Our R&D is transferred into sustainable materials, processes and technologies for the benefit of industry and society alike.