Joining Technologies & Corrosion
We drive innovations in joining technologies and corrosion management by bulk, surface and interface engineering of functional materials and their assemblies in close collaboration with academia and industry.
- Joining Technologies (e.g. soldering, brazing, reactive joining, nanojoining)
- Corrosion Management (e.g. corrosion mechanisms, failures and prevention strategies)
- Electrochemical Reactivity of Metallic Surfaces (e.g. Surface reactivity of metals and alloys, implants, sensors)
- Functional Oxides (e.g. structure, properties, defect engineering)
OUR PRODUCTS & SERVICES
- Innovative R&D and high-end services to your industrial needs in the fields of corrosion management, joining technologies, electrochemistry and surface engineering
- We are your national competence center for the assessment of corrosion failures and the development of corrosion prevention strategies.
- Technology transfer of innovative R&D into sustainable materials, processes and technologies
In order to bridge the gap between basic research and real-life applications, we aim at comprehensive understanding of the crucial role of material heterogeneities and defects on their reactivity, stability and functionality in harsh environments (e.g. in reactive gasses, humidity/water, complex electrolytes and biofluids; at elevated temperatures under static or cyclic loading conditions). To this end, cutting-edge experiments are guided by multi-scale modelling to reach fundamental understanding of:
The thermodynamics and kinetics of diffusion, wetting, nucleation and competing phase formation at solid-solid, solid-liquid and solid-gas interfaces
The electrochemical reactivity and combined thermal, chemical and mechanical stability of heterogeneous metals, alloys and coatings systems in harsh environments
Defect engineering of functional oxide films