Recent News of the Laboratory for Thin Films and Photovoltaics
A new record of 22.2% efficiency for CIGS on flexible polymer substrate announced at WCPEC-8, September 2022!
Shih-Chi Yang received a WCPEC-8 Student Award with the topic "High Efficiency Bifacial (Ag,Cu)(In,Ga)Se2 Thin Film Solar Cells Grown at Low Temperature", Milano, September 2022.
Ramis Hertwig won a poster award with the topic "Atomic Layer Deposited Metal Oxide Buffer Layers to Mitigate Sputter Damage on Co-Evaporated CIGS Solar Cell Absorbers", at the virtual E-MRS Spring Meeting 2022, May-June 2022.
New record of 21.4% efficiency for CIGS on flexible polymer substrate is set, September 2021!
PhD student Sami Bolat recieved Best Poster Award at Swiss NanoConvention 2021, sponsored by the Swiss Micro & Nanotechnology Network for the poster: "Printed oxide transistors for flexible electronics", June 2021.
Dr. Evgeniia Gilshtein received Best Image Award at Swiss NanoConvention 2021, sponsored by the Swiss Micro & Nanotechnology Network for the image: "The alumina ceramic symbol of Peace and Trust in the World", June 2021.
- Empa's new technology for printed electronics is currently a finalist in the OE-A-Competition 2021: a new level of security realised in the form of invisible buttons printed with transparent conductive ink on the transparent carrier material, the position of which is known only to insiders.
- Ramis Hertwig received Poster award at the Virtual Chalcogenide PV Conference 2020, for his presentation on ALD-ZnMgO as buffer layer on co-evaporated CIGS", May 2020.
- Empa researchers have achieved a milestone in the search for a solid electrolyte, the conductive medium for future solid-state batteries.
- A new revolution in the production of electronic circuits is on the way: Empa researchers are working on electronics that come out of printers.
- PhD student Sami Bolat is a winner of IEEE Electron Devices Society PhD Student Fellowship, 2019 for demonstration of his significant ability to perform independent research in the fields of electron devices and a proven history of academic excellence.
- Dr. Evgeniia Gilshtein received Best poster prize at the 5th Swiss ePrint Conference (The Swiss Conference on Printed Electronics and Functional Materials), for the poster: "Conductive nanoparticle ITO films obtained by dye-assisted sintering".
- New record for flexible thin-film solar cells is set!
- Prof. Maksym Kovalenko awarded Rössler Prize for his research on bright nanoparticles, June 2019.
- Dr. Fan Fu received ETH Medal for his doctoral thesis, January 2019, title of honored work: "Efficient and Stable NIR-Transparent Perovskite Solar Cells for Thin- Film Tandem Photovoltaics".
- PhD student Enrico Avancini received Young Scientist Award, at E-MRS Spring Meeting, June 2018, in Strassbourg, title of the publication: "Voids and compositional non-uniformities at CIGS surfaces and bulk".
- Dr. Romain Carron received Poster Award at E-MRS Spring Meeting, June 2018, Strassbourg, title: "Bandgap of solar cell absorbers: a comparison of various determination methods".
- PhD student Thomas Feurer received Student Award at EU PVSEC, September 2018, in Amsterdam, title: "Narrow Bandgap Cu(In,Ga)Se2 Solar Cells for Tandem Application".
- PhD student Shutao Wang received Chemistry Travel Award (for EMRS Fall Meeting, Warsaw, 17-20 September 2018) SCNAT and the Swiss Chemical Society, June 2018, title: "Efficient Aluminum Chloride–Graphite Battery and Its Current Collector".
- Paper on Novel back contact reflector for high efficiency CIGS thin-film solar cells is published in Progress in Photovoltaics