CLIMGAS-CH (HALCLIM) / AGAGE Measurements of halogenated greenhouse gases at Jungfraujoch
Halogenated greenhouse gases (CFCs, HCFCs, HFCs, PFCs, SF6) are measured continuously at the Alpine station of Jungfraujoch (3580 m asl.) in Switzerland. Together with meteorological transport models these data are used to estimate European emissions down to a regional scale.
Between 2000 -2018 more than 50 ozone-depletion and greenhouse gases have been continuously measured at Jungfraujoch within the Swiss national HALCLIM project under the management of Empa and FOEN (Swiss Federal Office for the Environment). Since 2018 in the CLIMGAS-CH project, commonly managed by Empa and FOEN, all non-CO2 greenhouse gases (halocarbons, methane, nitrous oxide) are analyses and their regional emissions are estimated. This activity is also contributing the AGAGE network with the common measurement technique of GCMS (gas chromatograph – mass spectrometer).
CLIMGAS-CH (2018-2022) / HALCLIM (2000-2018)
- Assessing Swiss and regional European emissions of non-CO2 greenhouse gases and contributing to the control of the national emission inventory.
- Locating sources and dominant source regions of non-CO2 greenhouse gases, using atmospheric transport models.
- Montinoring the composition of the global atmosphere for Montreal Protocol and Kyoto Protocol trace gases
The Medusa system is currently set up to measure the following compounds:
- CFCs: CFC-11, CFC-12, CFC-13, CFC-113, CFC-114, CFC-115.
- HCFCs: HCFC-22, HCFC-141b, HCFC-142b, HCFC-124
- Halons H-1301, H-1211, H-2402
- CH3Cl, CH3Br, CHCl3, CH3CCl3, CCl4, TCE, PCE
- HFCs: HFC-23, HFC-32, HFC-134a, HFC-152a, HFC-125, HFC-143a, HFC-227ea, HFC-365mfc, HFC-245fa, HFC-236fa.
- PFC and other fluorinated compounds: PFC-116, PFC-218, PFC-318, SF6, CF4, (SF5CF3)
- Hydorcarbons: C2 – C6 hydrocarbons
- Carbonyl sulfide (OCS), SO2F2
- and more ….