Design of alloys and (nano-) composites
We develop novel structural and functional alloys as well as composites by combining computer simulations with sophisticated experiments. A special emphasize is on the design of alloys for additive manufacturing. Our activities cover mainly, but not exclusively, the following materials classes:
High-strength Ni, Al and Ti alloys and structural intermetallics (e.g γ-TiAl)
Oxide dispersion strengthened (ODS) alloys and (nano-) composites
Precious metal alloys
Shape memory alloys
- S. Griffiths, H. Ghasemi Tabasi, T. Ivas, X. Maeder, A. De Luca, K. Zweiacker, R. Wrobel, J. Jhabvala, R.E. Logé, C. Leinenbach, Combining Alloy and Process Modification for Micro-crack Mitigation in an Additively Manufactured Ni-base Superalloy, Additive Manufacturing 36 (2020) 101443
- S. Griffiths, J. Croteau, M.D. Rossell, R. Erni, A. De Luca, N.Q. Vo, D.C. Dunand, C. Leinenbach, Coarsening- and Creep Resistance of Precipitation-Strengthened Al-Mg-Zr Alloys Processed by Selective Laser Melting, Acta Materialia 188 (2020) 192-202
- J. Croteau; S. Griffiths; C. Leinenbach; C. Kenel, D. Seidman, D. Dunand, N. Vo , Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of Al-Mg-Zr Alloys Processed by Selective Laser Melting, Acta Materialia 153 (2018) 35-44
- Arabi-Hashemi, W.J. Lee, A. Lis, C. Leinenbach, Recovery stress formation in FeMnSi based shape memory alloys: Impact of precipitates, texture and grain size, Materials and Design 139 (2018) 258-268
- Kenel, G. Dasargyri, T. Bauer, C. Hauser, A.B. Spierings, G.J. Tatlock, C. Leinenbach, K. Wegener, Selective laser melting of an oxide dispersion strengthened (ODS) γ-TiAl alloy towards production of complex structures, Materials and Design 134 (2017) 81-90
- M. Leparoux, L. Kollo, H. Kwon, K. Kallip, N.K. Babu, K.A. AlOgab, M.K. Talari, Solid State Processing of Aluminum Matrix Composites Reinforced with Nanoparticulate Materials, Re-view – Adv. Eng. Mater. 2018, 20, 1800401.
- H. Kwon, A. Kawasaki, M. Leparoux, Mechanical behaviour of dual nanoparticle-reinforced aluminium alloy matrix composite materials depending on milling time, J. Comp. Mater. 2017, Vol. 51(25) 3557–3562.