Additive manufacturing and laser metals processing
Additive manufacturing (AM) allows fabricating monolithic metallic parts with intricate geometries, thereby enabling value increase of products. Due to the huge design freedom and accessibility of each layer, AM can be used to fabricate parts with complex mechanisms and tailored functionalities. Our aim is to develop, fabricate and characterize novel multifunctional parts by local modification of the microstructure or by multimaterial AM. We are studying e.g. different (re-)scanning strategies, AM with different laser wavelengths (near-IR, green), but also pulsed-lasers of different intensities and beam profiles.
- Arabi-Hashemi, X. Maeder, R. Figi, C. Schreiner, S. Griffiths, C. Leinenbach, 3D Magnetic Patterning in Additive Manufacturing via site-specific in-situ Alloy Modification, Applied Materials Today 18 (2020) 100512
- S. Griffiths, H. Ghasemi Tabasi, T. Ivas, X. Maeder, A. De Luca, K. Zweiacker, R. Wrobel, J. Jhabvala, R.E. Logé, C. Leinenbach, Combining Alloy and Process Modification for Micro-crack Mitigation in an Additively Manufactured Ni-base Superalloy, Additive Manufacturing 36 (2020) 101443
- N. Kalentics, N. Sohrabi, H. Ghasemi Tabasi, S. Griffiths, J. Jhabvala, C. Leinenbach, A. Burn, R.E. Logé, Healing cracks in Selective Laser Melting by 3D Laser Shock Peening, Additive Manufacturing 30 (2019) 10081
- S. Griffiths. M.D. Rossell, J. Croteau, N. Vo, D. Dunand, C. Leinenbach, Effect of Laser Rescanning on the Grain Microstructure of a Selective Laser Melted Al-Mg-Zr Alloy, Materials Characterization 143 (2018) 34-42
- M. Le Dantec, L. Güniat, M. Leistner, R. Figi, D. Bleiner, M. Leparoux, P. Hoffmann, Impact of oxygen content in powders on the morphology of the laser molten tracks in preparation for additive manufacturing of silicon, Powder Technology 361 (2020) 704-710.
- Lanfant, F. Bär, A. Mohanta, M. Leparoux, Fabrication of Metal Matrix Composite by Laser Metal Deposition - A New Process Approach by Direct Dry Injection of Nanopowders, Materials 2019, 12, 3584.