Terms of Stay
Duration of Stay
- The guest apartments are solely intended for guests staying for periods of 1 year at most. Guests of Empa and Eawag, and of the ETH Zurich, have priority.
- Provided there is free capacity the rent period may be extended.
Every guest pays a security deposit of CHF 600.- (when renting a room) or of CHF 1000.- (when renting an apartment), even in case of a short-term stay.
The guest will be held liable, for instance, for:
- the loss of keys
- the repairs of any damage caused
- extreme soiling of the room, necessitating special cleaning
- extreme soiling of common rooms, equipment or other inventory, such as refuse which has not been disposed of properly, heavy soiling of cookware, oven or microwave.
- gross violation of the sublease contract, house rules or the instructions of the Guest House Management
Costs so incurred will be deducted from the security deposit on departure. Expenses in excess of this will be invoiced to the guest.
Cleaning and Washing Rules
- The subtenant is responsible for the cleaning of his/her own bedroom during his/her stay.
- When subtenants change, the room is cleaned by professionals.
- Should the cleaning at the end of the sublease contract necessitate unusual extra services, the additional costs will be deducted from the guest's security deposit.
- The subtenants are responsible for the basic tidiness and cleanliness of the common rooms.
- Disposing of empty bottles (including PET), aluminium items, cardboards, waste-paper and domestic refuse every day is incumbent on the guests.
- A cleaning company cleans the common rooms every week. Additionally, a thorough cleaning is scheduled once every three months, including, for instance, windows and kitchen equipment.
Washing of the Laundry Provided
- On arrival every subtenant is given two complete sets of bed linen and bath towels
- During their stay, subtenants are responsible for washing these items by themselves
- The subtenant is liable for any damage resulting from inadequate care
- When subtenants change, the laundry sets are changed and laundered professionally
Moving In and Moving Out
Arrivals and departures must be scheduled on working days during office hours.
Arrivals and departures during the holidays between Christmas and New Year should be avoided.
Information for Tenants
The residents in our guest house apartments originate from over 40 different countries and various cultures. We would like to remind you, that in Switzerland, apartment-sharing communities are generally mixed sex, i.e. men and women share an apartment. Should you have a good reason not to share living areas in this way, please inform us accordingly. Provided that enough rooms are available, we will arrange for separate accommodation.