Dr. Patrick Wäger
- Head of Technology and Society Laboratory
Area of Expertise
Anthropogenic resources, Circular Economy, Critical raw materials, Environmental auditing, Life Cycle Assessment, Recycling, Resource management, Sustainability transitions, Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment
Membership in National and International Committees (selected)
- Entwicklungsfonds seltene Metalle (ESM), member of the board (since 2017);
- UNECE Expert Group on Resource Classification (EGRC), member (since 2017);
- GAIA journal, member of the Scientific Advisory Board (since 2016);
- COST Action Mining the European Anthroposphere (MINEA), member of the Management Committee and Swiss National Delegate (since 2016);
- Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences (a+), member of the steering group "Sustainable use of limited resources" (2016-2017);
- Zuger Wissenschaftspreis and Helmut Fischer Jugendpreis, member of the Jury (2014-2016);
- Swiss Academy of Engineering Sciences (SATW), member of the Thematic Platform "Resources/Sustainability" (since 2012);
- Swiss Academic Society for Environmental Research and Ecology (saguf), member of the board and chair of working group "Integrative Research on Natural Resources" (since 2010);
- World Resources Forum (WRF), member of the scientific committees (since 2009);
- Certification Board for EN ISO 14001 Environmental Management Systems of Empa (CEMS) and Swiss Association for Technical Inspections (SVTI), lead auditor (1998 – 2002);
- Swiss take-back systems for waste electrical and electronic equipment (WEEE), member of the SENS and Swico auditor teams, lead auditor (since 1996).
- ETH Zurich, Department of Materials, course "Sustainable Materials Management" (master level), lecturer;
- University of Applied Sciences and Arts Northwestern Switzerland (FHNW), Energy and Environmental Technology, Waste Management & Disposal (Bachelor’s level), guest lecturer;
- University of Applied Sciences Rapperswil (HSR), WERZ Institute for knowledge, CAS Recycling und Entsorgung, lecturer;
- University of St. Gallen (HSG), contextual studies, course "Bedingt die Energiewende eine Rohstoffwende?" (Bachelor’s level), lecturer;
- University of St. Gallen (HSG), contextual studies, course "Auf dem Weg zu einer Kreislaufwirtschaft" (Bachelor’s level), lecturer;
- Zurich University of Applied Sciences ZHAW, Resource management (Bachelor’s level), guest lecturer;
- since 2016: Head of Technology & Society Laboratory, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology (Empa), St. Gallen, Switzerland.
- 1993 – 2016: (Senior) Scientist, Technology and Society Laboratory, Swiss Federal Laboratories for Materials Science and Technology (Empa), St. Gallen, Switzerland.
- 1991 – 1993: Project manager at Elektrowatt Engineering Ltd., Zurich, Switzerland.
- 1988 – 1991: Research assistant at the Institute of Toxicology, ETH and University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- 2005 – 2010: Bachelor studies in philosophy and sociology at University of Zurich, Switzerland. Final Degree: Bachelor of Arts UZH.
- 1988 – 1992: PhD studies in environmental sciences at the Institute of Toxicology of ETH and University of Zurich, Switzerland. Final degree: Dr sc. nat. ETH.
- 1982 – 1988: Master studies in chemistry at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) Zurich. Switzerland, with focus on organic, bio-organic and analytical chemistry. Final Degree: Dipl. Chem. ETH.