CALL FOR ENTRIES
REALIZED SOLUTIONS / architects, civil engineers and their studios
STUDENT DESIGNS / architecture and civil engineering students
December 01, 2021 – Competition announcement and registration opens
May 31, 2022 – Project submission deadline (23:59 hours Zurich time)
July 12, 2022 afternoon, Winners’ announcement event, Nest building, Empa Duebendorf (on-site, streamed)
Ralf Kilian // Fraunhofer IBP / Preservation of Historic Monuments and Preventive Conservation / Germany
Beat Kämpfen // Kämpfen Zinke + Partner / Switzerland
Volker Herzog // Herzog-architektur / Germany
Manfred Wehdorn // Wehdorn architekten / Austria
Matthias Koebel // Empa / Building Energy Materials and Components / Switzerland
Agitec, FIXIT, Hasit, Empa
Architectural and civil engineering studios can submit realized project of renovation, refurbishment or new buildings locat-ed in any country and place. Students of architecture and civil engineering can submit their proposals and design studio projects with use of aerogels. The award is communicated in English. Projects should be no older than three years. Highly encouraged are submissions of realized projects of renovation or protected buildings, refurbished buildings and new build-ings where the energy efficiency was improved using aerogel insulation materials or translucency of silica aeorgels is used. Winners will be invited to Switzerland for the announcement event, which will take place at the NEST building at the Empa campus in Duebendorf (Zurich). The winners will receive a memorial trophy and will be invited to introduce shortly their project within ca. 10 minutes to broader audience. Please send a ZIP or RAR file (max. 20MB) to email (secretary) untill deadline. Files to download (poster layout).
- 1 PDF A1 size poster (portrait) with plans, section, photographs and linear drawings (poster layout to download higher)
- 1-3 pcs JPEG - cover photos of the project, which will be used in media and webpages, high resolution
- 1x detail of use of aerogel based insulation (on the poster), linear technical drawing with emphasized aerogel part (Blue RGB – 95,183,215) and list of materials
- Fill please the registration form with the survey on aerogel use in your project, description ca. 300 words of the project. Text, picture and detail can be on the poster. (FORM UNDER CONSTRUCTION)
CRITERIA OF EVALUATION
- Preservation of appearance in case of cultural heritage
- Energy efficiency concept
- Originality of the solution
AEROGEL APPLICATION WEBPAGE
with selected materials types and projects of aerogel building applications.
SURVEY ON AEROGEL USE IN BUILDINGS
Please participate in our survey on aerogel building applications (DE/ENG) with your project. The form can be filled-in even if the project will be not submitted to the competition. There are no geographic restrictions for participating in the survey.
ARTICLE ON AEROGEL APPLICATIONS IN BUILDINGS
Michal Ganobjak, Samuel Brunner, Jannis Wernery,
Aerogel materials for heritage buildings: Materials, properties and case studies,
Journal of Cultural Heritage, Volume 42, 2020, Pages 81-98, ISSN 1296-2074,
Brochure of aerogel use in buildings.