Prof. Dr. Dominique Derome
Dominique Derome is presently head of Laboratory for Multiscale Studies in Building Physics at Empa. In Switzerland since 2008, she is leading projects combining advanced modelling and experimental methods to investigate the different impacts on moisture in porous materials. Previously she was associate professor at Concordia University in Montreal, Canada, in the field on performance and durability of wood frame envelope systems. Her first degree is in Architecture (B.Arch. Univerisité de Montréal, 1987), after practicing for several years, she completed her graduate studies in Building Engineering (M.A.Sc. 1994, PhD 2000, Concordia University).
- Multiscale approach: advanced experiments and computational modelling.
- Coupled moisture and mechanical behavior of wood. Hysteresis.
- Heat, air and mass transport in porous building materials and boundary conditions phenomena.
- Hygrothermal performance and durability of wood-based building envelope systems.
- Energy efficiency and low emission through measures on the building envelope.
- Lal S, Lucci F, Defraeye T, Poulikakos L, Partl MN, Derome D, Carmeliet J. (2018) CFD modelling of convective scalar transport in a macroporous material for drying applications, Int. J. Thermal Sciences, 123:86-98 DOI
- Manickathan L, DefraeyeT, Allegrini J, Derome D, Carmeliet J. (2018) Parametric study of the influence of environmental factors and tree properties on the transpirative cooling effect of trees, Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 248:259-274. DOI
- Patera A, Van den Bulcke J, Boone MN, Derome D, Carmeliet J. 2018. Swelling interactions of earlywood and latewood across a growth ring: global and local deformations, Wood Sci technol. 52:91-114. DOI
Patera A, Carl S, Stampanoni M, Derome D, Carmeliet J. 2018. A non-rigid registration method for the analysis of local deformations in the wood cell wall, Advanced Structural and Chemical Imaging, 4:1. DOI
Qin F, Mazloomi Moqaddam A, Kang Q, Derome D, Carmeliet J. 2018- Entropic multiple-relaxation-time multirange pseudopotential lattice Boltzmann model for two-phase flow, Physics of Fluids, 30: 032104 DOI
- 6. Carmeliet J, Chen L, Kang Q, Derome D. (2017) Beyond-Cassie mode of wetting and local contact angles of droplets on checkboard-patterned surfaces, Langmuir, 33:6192-6200. DOI
- 7. Derome D, Kubilay A, Defraeye T, Blocken B, Carmeliet J. (2017) Ten questions concerning modeling of wind-driven rain in the built environment, Building and Environment, 114: 495–506 DOI
- 8. Hendrickx R, Ferreira E, Boon JJ, Desmarais D, Derome D, Angelova A, Mannes D, Kaestner A, Huinink H, Kuijpers K, Voogt B, Richardon E. (2017) Distribution of moisture in reconstructed oil paintings on canvas during absorption and drying: A neutron radiography and NMR study, Studies in Conservation, 62:393-409. DOI
- 9. Kubilay A, Derome D, Carmeliet J. (2017) Analysis of time-resolved wind-driven rain on an array of low-rise cubic buildings using large eddy simulation and an Eulerian multiphase model, Building and Environment, 114: 68-81 DOI
- 10. Kubilay A, Carmeliet J, Derome D. (2017) Computational fluid dynamics simulations of wind-driven rain on a mid-rise residential building with various types of facade details, J. Building Performance Simulation, 10:125-143 DOI
- 11. Kulasinski K, Derome D, Carmeliet J. (2017). Impact of hydration on the micromechanical properties of the polymer composite structure of wood investigated with atomistic simulations, J. Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 103: 221-235. DOI
- 12. Lal S, Poulikakos LD, Jerjen I, Vontobel P, Partl MN, Derome D and Carmeliet J. (2017) Investigation of gravity-driven drainage and forced convective drying in a macroporous medium using neutron radiography, Transport in Porous Media, 118:119-142. DOI
- 13. Lal S, Poulikakos LD, Jerjen I, Vontobel P, Partl MN, Derome D and Carmeliet J.(2017) Wetting and drying in hydrophobic, macroporous asphalt structures, Construction and Building Materials, 152:82-95 DOI
- 14. Magnier-Bergeron L, Derome D, Zmeureanu R. (2017) Three-dimensional model of air speed in the secondary zone of displacement ventilation jet, Building and Environment, 114: 483-494. DOI
- 15. Parada M, Derome D, Rossi R, Carmeliet (2017). A review of advanced imaging techniques for the quantification of wicking in textiles. Textile Research Journal, 87: 110-132. DOI
- 16. Parada M, Vontobel P, Rossi RM, Derome D, Carmeliet J. (2017) Dynamic wicking process in textiles, Transport in Porous Media, 119:611–632. DOI
- 17. Psikuta A, Allegrini J, Koelblen B, Bogdan A, Annaheim S, Martinez N, Derome D, Carmeliet J, Rossi MR. (2017) Thermal manikins controlled by human thermoregulation models for energy efficiency and thermal comfort research – A review. Ren. Sustain. Energy Reviews, 78: 1315-1330. DOI
- 18. Radu A, Defraeye T, Ruch P, Carmeliet J, Derome D. (2017) Insights from modeling dynamics of water sorption in spherical particles for adsorption heat pumps, Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer, 105: 326–337. DOI
- 19. Schutzius T, Walker C, Maitra T, Schönherr R, Stamatopoulos C, Jung S, Antonini C, Eghlidi H, Fife JL, Patera A, Derome D, Poulikakos D. (2017) Detergency and its implications for oil emulsion sieving and separation, Langmuir, 33: 4250-4259. DOI
- 20. Zhou X, Derome D, Carmeliet J. (2017) Hygrothermal modeling and evaluation of freeze-thaw damage risk of masonry walls retrofitted with internal insulation, Building and Environment, 125:285-298. DOI
- 21. Defraeye T, Nicolai B, Mannes D, Aregawi W, Verboven P, Derome D. (2016) Probing inside fruit slices during convective drying by quantitative neutron imaging, J. Food Engineering, 178:198-202.