Innovative and Multifunctional Pavements (EMPave-MAP)
We work to develop pavements that carry loads, but also have multiple other functionalities. We believe that roads should coexist in symbiosis with the environment, harvesting energy or helping with the management of water. They should reduce temperature peaks and contribute mitigating the heat island effect. We work towards a pavement can sense its surroundings, process the information, communicate with the users and re-adapt in consequence. To that end, we approach transportation problems through unconventional modifications of the material and constructive process of the pavement. In our research, we imagine the future and we try to make it reality using state-of-the-art technologies from the physical, chemical and biological fields: we understand that technology has to move ahead as a whole. But we are aware that change happens gradually and from the hand of the industry.
Research and Development
- ASTRA 2017/005 Robotic reinforcement of pavements
- ASTRA 2011/012 OBF Asphalt healing using induction heating
- Developing an innovative type of asphalt joints using induction heating technology
- SNF Project 200021_169396 Design of asphalt mixtures modified with phase change materials
- Simplification of the test methodology linked to the performance of asphalt (VEGAS)