Advanced joining technology aims at creating joints which can withstand harsh operating conditions (e.g. high temperatures, high or complex mechanical loads, corrosive environments), or joints in which the material interface assumes specific functional properties (e.g. thermal management functions). To achieve these goals, the joining process must be considered as an integral step of the manufacturing process. Our research is directed at understanding the complex relationships between all manufacturing steps (incl. the joining process), the microstructural evolution of the materials, and the resulting properties of the joined assembly. In particular, we focus on investigating dedicated interlayer and coating systems for material surface and joint interface engineering, and on exploiting nanoscale phenomena for novel joining concepts (e.g. → nanomultilayers and nanopastes for joining). By combining our expertise in joining technology and in corrosion management, we develop new joining solutions for the current and future needs of the industry (→ our services).
Wetting, diffusion and phase formation phenomena at materials interfaces
Joining of dissimilar materials (e.g. metal-ceramic, metal-glass, metal-composite joints), and of sensitive materials and devices.
Thermal, chemical, and mechanical integrity of joined assemblies under harsh operating conditions
Reactive joining and thermite materials → Nanojoining and Microjoining
Nanoparticles for joining, composition- and size-dependent phase stability of solder alloys and brazing filler systems → Nanojoining and Microjoining
- Brazed metal-ceramic components for space applications
- Mechanical behavior of SiC joints brazed using an active Ag-Cu-In-Ti braze at elevated temperatures
- Fügen einer beheizbaren Metall-Keramik-Struktur mit eutektischem Au-Ge Lot
- Brazing of silicon nitride ceramic composite to steel using SiC-particle-reinforced active brazing alloy
- Thin Layer Transient Liquid Phase (TLP) for die attach
- Nano-Structured Cu/W Brazing Fillers for Advanced Joining Applications