«At Empa all employees are accorded the same appreciation and respect and the best possible opportunities for development, irrespective of gender, nationality, language, location, profession, hierarchical position and age.» – Gian-Luca Bona, CEO
Needless to say that this also goes for the ban on discrimination based on religion, cultural affinities, disability or social background. Our equal opportunities activities focus on ensuring that all empoyees of Empa are afforded the same status.
The following goals are currently important in the field of equal opportunities, gender management and diversity at Empa:
- Empa promotes women at all levels and hierarchies and ensures a substantial increase in senior management positions.
- Empa promotes flexible working-hour models, which enable its staff to reconcile their careers and family life at all levels and regardless of gender. It provides a sufficient range of childcare facilities. This flexibility can, of course, also be used to balance a career with caring for a dependent.
- Empa fosters a multicultural philosophy and encourages diversity.
These objectives are described in more detail in Empa’s Action Plan 2017-2020.
The ETH Domain aims to improve the gender balance among its members by increasing the share of women in education and in research, as well as in management positions. Ensuring equal opportunities for women and men within the ETH Domain is a prerequisite for achieving this objective. Gender Strategy 2017-2020.pdf
If you have any problems, questions or feedback, please get in touch with the equal opportunities office.
Some Highligts – and Further Information
- In 2015 the UND office awarded Empa with the “Family AND Career” label for another three years.
- In 2014 Empa was awarded the Prix Balance by the Canton of Zurich. According to the expert panel, Empa enables its staff to reconcile their careers and private lives in an laudable fashion.
- A joint daycare facility for Eawag and Empa was set up in 1994.
- The program “fix the leaky pipeline!”, which promotes academic careers for young female scientists, has a permanent program of courses and coaching.
2017 ist zum 10-Jahr Jubiläum eine Broschüre mit Beiträgen von ehemaligen Teilnehmerinnen und Kursleiterinnen erschienen.
- The SNF offers a program for the promotion of women as professorts (PRIMA grants). Swiss and foreign women who are seeking a professorship at a Swiss university can aply.
- The Swiss Association of Women Engineers (SVIN ) is a nationwide association of women in scientific and technical professions and companies.
- Every year Empa organizes a Summer Camp (contact person: Margrit Conradin or Beatrice Fischer) and, in the fall, the National Future Day (contact person: Marianne Senn) for the children of Empa staff.
- Vom 16. bis 20. Juli 2018 findet das jährliche Sommercamp für Kinder von Empa-Mitarbeitenden statt (ausgebucht).
- Frauenlunch (Datum noch offen)
- 6. März 2018, 12h bis13.30h Net-working event Empa-Eawag-Frauen “Women in science” mit Dr. Silvie Klein-Franke,
- Mo. 3 September 2018, 12–13.30 Uhr, “Women in science“ Meeting and Lunch, Topic Start-ups ,Empa-Akademie, Details / Registration
- Am 8. Im November 2018 findet wieder ein Zukunftstag an den Standorten Dübendorf, St. Gallen und Thun statt.