«At Empa all employees are accorded the same appreciation and respect and the best possible opportunities for development, irrespective of gender, nationality, language, location, profession, hierarchical position and age.» – Gian-Luca Bona, CEO
Needless to say that this also goes for the ban on discrimination based on religion, cultural affinities, disability or social background. Our equal opportunities activities focus on ensuring that all empoyees of Empa are afforded the same status.
The following goals are currently important in the field of equal opportunities, gender management and diversity at Empa:
- Empa promotes women at all levels and hierarchies and ensures a substantial increase in senior management positions.
- Empa promotes flexible working-hour models, which enable its staff to reconcile their careers and family life at all levels and regardless of gender. It provides a sufficient range of childcare facilities. This flexibility can, of course, also be used to balance a career with caring for a dependent.
- Empa fosters a multicultural philosophy and encourages diversity.
These objectives are described in more detail in Empa’s Action Plan 2017-2020.
If you have any problems, questions or feedback, please get in touch with the equal opportunities office.
Some Highligts – and Further Information
- In 2015 the UND office awarded Empa with the “Family AND Career” label for another three years.
- In 2014 Empa was awarded the Prix Balance by the Canton of Zurich. According to the expert panel, Empa enables its staff to reconcile their careers and private lives in an laudable fashion.
- A joint daycare facility for Eawag and Empa was set up in 1994.
- The program “fix the leaky pipeline!”, which promotes academic careers for young female scientists, has a permanent program of courses and coaching.
- The SNF offers a program for the promotion of women as professorts (PRIMA grants). Swiss and foreign women who are seeking a professorship at a Swiss university can aply.
- The Swiss Association of Women Engineers (SVIN ) is a nationwide association of women in scientific and technical professions and companies.
- Every year Empa organizes a Summer Camp (contact person: Margrit Conradin or Beatrice Fischer) and, in the fall, the National Future Day (contact person: Marianne Senn) for the children of Empa staff.
- The annual summercamp for children of empa emlpyees will take place from 17 July to 21 of July
- 23. August, 12.15-13.15 h Women's Lunch at SV Stübli/Akademie III (Registration until 18. August at )
- 19. September, 12-13h Net-working event Empa-Eawag-Frauen “Women in science” with Simona Isler, Equal Opportunities Representative SNF at Empa-Akademie, Presentation followed by lunch (Registration until 12. September at )
- The next future day will be heldon the 9th of November 2017 in Dübendorf, st. Gallen and Thun.